Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Adaptation

sitting here enjoying my spicy laksa, ive realised ive adapted.  i now love soggy romaine.  when i first moved, i thought it was so weird that the chinese boil romaine lettuce.  i mean, whatever small nutritional value is in romaine is just boiled right out of the poor leafy vegetable.  and to add insult to injury, it tastes even more like nothing after it is boiled than when served raw.

go to any chinese restaurant and you will see plates and plates full of wet soggy lettuce pass by.  i would frantically wave my hand no to the waitress bringing a serving of it my way.  in fact, this guy in front of me today went BACK for his soggy lettuce as they forgot to give him his plate which is a treat only if you eat in.

so, as i have been enjoying my MSG fueled lunch, i realised i was actually looking for some good ole soggy romaine in my noodle soup...HUH?  what has happened to me?  i chalk it up to the fact that the soup base is aggressively spicy and i added even more heat with red chili peppers - so that and the little shrimp and a bit off udon noodle, the boiled romaine aint that bad.

go figure.


No comments: